A theatre space in Paarl, named and utilized by the Paarl Theatre Club between 1954 and 1961.
When the Paarl Theatre Club was officially founded in 1951, it initially battled to find a space to use as a home base. However, in 1954 they obtained the use of a barn in Pastorielaan, belonging to Mr Podlashuk, and named it the Skuurteater (Afrikaans for "Barn Theatre").
Key figures who were actively involved in the club in this period include Miriam Bloom and Joey de Koker. According to Nic de Jager (2014), the work done by the company in the Skuurteater reminded eminent critic W.E.G. Louw of the Abbey Theatre Players in Dublin.
Due to a number of circumstances, the club lost the use of the barn in 1961 and as result of this, as well as the withdrawal of a number of influential people, the Skuurteater closed and interest in the society itself dwindled to such an extent that the club was dissolved and all the equipment owned by the club was placed in the hands of three appointed trustees.
Return to The ESAT Entries
Return to Main Page