Cape Town Rifles
Initially called the Cape Rifle Corps, it was also known as the Cape Royal Rifles, and later as the Cape Town Volunteer Rifles. After 1910 it became part od the South African army and thereafter known simply as the Cape Town Rifles (nicknamed Dukes).
The brass orchestra of this company has over the years performed as part of the programme in some theatrical performances in Cape Town from time to time.
On 30 June 1859 they appeared as the Cape Royal Rifles with the Cape Town Theatrical Club as part of a benefit for Miss Delmaine. The plays performed were The Little Treasure (Harris) and The Lady of Lyons (Byron).
Go to ESAT Bibliography
Return to The ESAT Entries
Return to Main Page