The Cabinet Theatre was a venue in Cape Town in the mid 19th century.
Originally known as the New Music Hall in Buitekant Street, set up by J.E.H. English for his newly formed company, The Gentlemen Amateurs.
It was taken by Charles Fraser in 1859 and renamed the Cabinet Theatre and utilized for a successful season of comedies and farces, with the help of some members of the Cape Town Dramatic Club.
In 1860, it was re-arranged and redecorated by the Cape Town Dramatic Club, and renamed the C.T. Dramatic Club Theatre, for their own new season.
F.C.L. Bosman, 1980. Drama en Toneel in Suid-Afrika, Deel II, 1856-1916. Pretoria: J.L. van Schaik: pp.
Jill Fletcher. 1994. The Story of Theatre in South Africa: A Guide to its History from 1780-1930. Cape Town: Vlaeberg.
Go to ESAT Bibliography
Return to ESAT Venues C
Return to South African Theatre Venues, Companies, Societies, etc
Return to The ESAT Entries
Return to Main Page