St George's Theatre
St George's Theatre was a 19th century theatre in Pietermaritzburg.
Founded at Fort Napier, Pietermaritzburg, 27 January 1864. The theatre was a corrugated iron building costing 600 pounds with a further 200 pounds being spent on the auditorium and stage areas. It seated 350. It followed the Garrison Theatre as a formal theatre venue in Pietermaritzburg.
Its opening production was with Take that Girl Away and Done on Both Sides. Twenty-six plays were presented in all. The theatre closed in 1864 with The Wandering Minstrel (Mayhew), Little Toddlekins (Mathews) and Who Stole the Pocket Book (Morton). It closed in June 1864.
For more information
Return to The ESAT Entries
Return to Main Page