New Music Hall

From ESAT
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The New Music Hall was a theatre which J.E.H. English set up for his newly formed company (The Gentlemen Amateurs) in 1858 in Buitekant Street, Cape Town. They performed mainly comic sketches and songs, based on local events. By November 1858 English had disappeared from the scene and the theatre was renamed the Cabinet Theatre by the new lessee, Charles Fraser, in 1859.

Sources

F.C.L. Bosman, 1980. Drama en Toneel in Suid-Afrika, Deel II, 1856-1916. Pretoria: J.L. van Schaik: pp.

Jill Fletcher. 1994. The Story of Theatre in South Africa: A Guide to its History from 1780-1930. Cape Town: Vlaeberg. Go to ESAT Bibliography

Return to

Return to ESAT Venues N

Return to South African Theatre Venues, Companies, Societies, etc

Return to The ESAT Entries

Return to Main Page