Krugersdorp Dramatic and Operatic Club
New name of the Krugersdorp Dramatic Society (founded at the initiative of W.P. (“Buster”) Harrison on 1 November 1928) after it was divided into three sections: a drama-reading group, a theatre-production group and a musical group that same month. The founders’ meeting and first “Club Night” were held on 22 November 1928 in the Krugersdorp High School Hall. These Club Nights were held once a month, members gave recitations and other items. At the first general meeting (7 December 1928) a committee of 9 members were appointed, with E. Gitsham as the chairperson, and P.P.B. Breytenbach, R.J. Yell and H.C. Reeve as other committee members. On 30 September 1929 the club gave its first public performance of The Area Belle, The Monkey’s Paw and an act from Trial by Jury. Initially performances were only in English, but on March 1 1930 a first Afrikaans evening was held (Koppigheid by W.J. Viljoen). On 27 July 1931 the Municipality of Krugersdorp conferred official recognition on the society – which thereby became the first dramatic society to be so recognised in South Africa - and the name was accordingly changed to the Krugersdorp Municipal Dramatic and Operatic Society. Henceforth performances were to be given alternately in English and Afrikaans. .
Binge, 1969, Du Toit, 1988; Du Toit,1985, Du Toit, 1988 [TH, JH]
For more information
Return to The ESAT Entries
Return to Main Page