Founded in 1903 as a pre-primary, primary and a high school under the auspices of the Dutch Reformed Church, with the Dutch motto: "Eendracht maak mag" ("Unity makes strength"). The primary school began instruction as a bilingual (Dutch and English) primary school in 1904, and in 1905 moved into its first permanent building in Bosman Street in the heart of Pretoria. On the 1 April 1907 the primary school became a government school while the Eendracht High School amalgamated with the English-medium Pretoria College in 1910 to become Pretoria Boys High. The primary school however exists to this day - though the name was changed from Laerskool Eendracht to Eendracht Primary in 2016.
Contribution to South African theatre, film, media and performance
In 1906 some pupils of Eendrachtskool supported the debating society Rust Roest ("rest rusts") in a performance of Een Zenuwachtig Mensch (Heyligers), at the Empress Theatre, Pretoria, under the auspices of the newly resurrected cultural organization Onze Taal.
Go to ESAT Bibliography
Return to ESAT Venues W
Return to The ESAT Entries
Return to Main Page