Thêàtre de L'Union
A French company briefly active in Cape Town in 1848.
It was founded by disillusioned professional French performers from the Dalle Case Company, to provide them with work in Cape Town when Case's company failed. Feeling that Dalle Case had not been able to secure suitable venues for their performances and, in some instances, had not paid them, Messrs L. Victor, C. Crosset and X. Hus, announced the formation of a new theatrical company on 25 March 1848, under the motto "L'Union". It hence became known as the Thêàtre de L'Union (written Theatre de L'Union by Bosman).
They initially first performed in the Hope Street Theatre and the Garrison Theatre, but found these incongenial, so the company finally settled into the Drury Lane Theatre for a run of six successful performances.
Programmes consisted of vaudeville, song and dance. The company's last performance was on September 25, 1848 in the Commercial Exchange, before ill-health and their lack of variety saw them fading into oblivion early in 1849.
F.C.L. Bosman, 1928: pp.437-9;
For more information
Return to The ESAT Entries
Return to Main Page