Dramatic Club

Jump to navigation Jump to search

The Dramatic Club, Grahamstown

Amateur dramatic society founded in 1864. (See Du Toit, 1988) [JH]

The Dramatic Club, King William’s Town

Founded in 1862, performed at the Prince Alfred Theatre. They resented the rival military performers (Garrison Players), accusing them of “puffing” (and being called “muffs” in retaliation). (Fletcher, 1994) [TH]

The Dramatic Club, Port Elizabeth

According to Jill Fletcher (1994, pp.79-81) a Port Elizabeth Dramatic Society was formed in the early 1840s, most probably performing in various found venues, including The Lyceum, but was temporarily dissolved in 1858. F.C.L. Bosman (1928, pp. 508-9)

Fletcher then adds (pp.93-4) that some members of what she refers to as a re-constituted Dramatic Club reappeared in 1862. It is uncertain whether this is a reference to the defunct Port Elizabeth Dramatic Society or another society. According to her some members joined forces in 1862 and raised enough money to build an own new theatre in White’s Road, one Fletcher now refers to as the White's Road Theatre. F.C.L. Bosman (1980, p. 138) also has a reference to the existence of a "P.E. Dramatic Club" (or "Port Elizabeth Dramatic Club"in Port Elizabeth circa 1861-1864 (a period when Sefton Parry and Clara Tellett both visited the coastal city with their performers and used the facilities and performers of the local organizations.) P.J. du Toit (1988: p. 30) also maintains that there was a Port Elizabeth Dramatic Club active as an amateur dramatic society in the early 1860s, a time when Port Elizabeth was the second-most important centre for theatre in South Africa. He suggests that the Club may simply have been a revival (and renaming) of the Port Elizabeth Dramatic Society and that at the height of its active life it was staging performances fortnightly. One specific example noted by Du Toit is a performance on September 23, 1867, of a locally written historical play by a Port Elizabeth Dramatic Club "at considerable expense in dresses and general mounting") called The Treasure at the Woody Cape, or The Days of Ryk van Tulbach. It had been written by the local postmaster and playwright, Alexander Wilmot, presumably a member of the club or society.

Margaret Harradine (1995) suggests that Fletcher's to a theatre is actually a reference to a venue called the New Theatre, situated in Whites Road (and also known as the Theatre Royal or The Barn, Barn Theatre or The Old Barn), and in fact constructed by the Port Elizabeth Dramatic Company, not a "Dramatic Club". The theatre was initially leased to Sefton Parry for a period of three months and opened with a performance of Grist to the Mill (Planché) on 2 June 1862.



P.J. du Toit. 1988. Amateurtoneel in Suid-Afrika. Pretoria: Academica: pp. 30

Jill Fletcher. 1994. The Story of Theatre in South Africa: A Guide to its History from 1780-1930. Cape Town: Vlaeberg: pp. 79-81; 93-4.

Margaret Harradine. 1994. Port Elizabeth: A Social Chronicle to the End of 1945. Port Elizabeth: E.H. Walton Packaging (Pty) Ltd.

Return to

Return to South African Theatre Venues, Companies, Societies, etc

Return to The ESAT Entries

Return to Main Page