Victoria Drill Hall
Victoria Drill Hall is a venue in the Eastern Cape Town of King William's Town.
The hall, designed was built by to commemorate Victoria's 60 years as sovereign and the foundation stone was laid 22 June 1887.
A typical Victorian building with neo-classical features was designed by the architect J. Laughton and built to commemorate Queen Victoria’s sixtieth birthday.
The hall still exists, retaining a military air, having been used by the Amatola Commando until 2007, when the South African Police Services took over control of the building. The Drill Hall was declared a Provincial Heritage Site in 1980.
It was presumably used as a performance space over the years, particularly in the 19th and early 20th centuries, by members of the garrisons stationed there, local amateurs and touring theatre companies.
Return to The ESAT Entries
Return to Main Page