The Witness, formerly The Natal Witness, was founded in 1846. It is a daily newspaper published in Pietermaritzburg. It mainly serves readers in Pietermaritzburg, Durban and the inland areas of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
It is the oldest continuously published newspaper in South Africa, having first been published on 27 February 1846. Until 2000, when it became 50 percent owned by the Naspers subsidiary Media24 group, it was the last independently owned mainstream daily newspaper in South Africa.
Return to ESAT Bibliography
Return to South African Journals and Newspapers
Return to The ESAT Entries
Return to Main Page