The Proefteater was a theatre space in a small, one-story building, the "Hollandse Saal" in Andringa Street, Stellenbosch. It was used for lessons and stage productions by the Universiteitsteater Stellenbosch in the 1960s. It was demolised in 1965 to make space for the new Drama Department building and the H.B. Thom Theatre built on the same site in 1966.
Founding and early history
The building, originally called the "Hollande Saal" was erected in 1896-97 for the Stellenbosch Public School that used it from 1896 to 1908.
Aims and function
It was a teaching facility. From 1908 to 1922 it was used by the Victoria College as the Chemistry Building. From 1923 until the 1960's various subjects were taught there, including History, Afrikaans, Dutch, Geography, German, French, Philosophy and Economics, after which it was used by the Stellenbosch University Drama Department until its demolition in 1965.
Demolished in 1965.
Impact on SA theatre, film, media and/or performance
Eikestadnuus, 5 May 1965.
Return to The ESAT Entries
Return to Main Page