Port Elizabeth Male Voice Choir
Founding and early history
December 4, 1911: Roger Ascham’s Port Elizabeth Male Voice Choir was inaugurated at the Port Elizabeth Town Hall.
Its origins can be traced back to the founding of the Cambrian Male Voice Choir which took place in the Port Elizabeth Town Hall on November 15, 1905.
The Cambrian Male Voice Choir was trained and conducted by Miss Attie Temple Richards until she left Port Elizabeth in 1909.
May 13, 1925: the Port Elizabeth Male Voice Choir was in attendance at the Port Elizabeth station to sing the Welsh national anthem when the much-loved Prince of Wales (the future King Edward VIII) arrived for a two-day visit.
Aug 23, 1938: The Port Elizabeth Male Voice Choir gave its first concert since the death of Roger Ascham on March 21, 1934. The concert was given in the City Hall with Leslie Johns as the conductor.
February 1947: After the Second World War, the choir was revived by Robert Selley.
Aims and function
Impact on SA theatre, film, media and/or performance
Margaret Harradine. 1995. Port Elizabeth: A Social Chronicle to the End of 1945. Port Elizabeth: E.H. Walton Packaging (Pty) Ltd
Go to the ESAT Bibliography
Return to South_African_Festivals
Return to The ESAT Entries
Return to Main Page