Port Elizabeth Ballet Club
Founding and early history
The Port Elizabeth Ballet Club was founded by a small group of enthusiastic people in April 1946 who were determined to promote a public interest in an art not previously represented in the City.
During its first year, the Club presented a Russian exponent of the impressionistic modern school and folk dancing, Masha Arseneiva, who was accompanied by her husband, Boris Ignaff and Estelle de la Ville.
Port Elizabeth expressed its appreciation of the first-ever ballet season with such warmth to demonstrate that the Club had fulfilled a public service.
At the conclusion of the season, Dulcie Howes graciously accepted the position of Honorary Life Presidency of the Club.
As the first season drew to a close the Club arranged for the world famous interpreter of Spanish music, Adrina Otero, to come to Port Elizabeth where, supported by Estelle de la Ville, they thrilled the audience with their vivacious and polished exhibition.
The Club held regular meetings with demonstrations and classes by dancing members under the direction of teaching members.
Exhibitions were held which illustrated some of the necessary training required of a ballerina.
Aims and function
The aims were to promote interest in the art of ballet by affording opportunities for students to take part in classic and modern ballet.
Impact on SA theatre, film, media and/or performance
Port Elizabeth Ballet Club theatre programme - 1950
Go to the ESAT Bibliography
Return to South_African_Festivals
Return to The ESAT Entries
Return to Main Page