Old Town House
The Old Town House, is a double-storey building in the Cape Rococo style, situated on Greenmarket Square. Erected in 1755-1761, it served many purposes over the years, including that of the Burgher Wachthuis ("Burgher Watch House"), the centre of the city management, then for a while served as a magistrate's court and as a police station. In 1839 it once more became Cape Town's municipal offices and City Hall, and remained so until 1905, when it was replaced by the Cape Town City Hall.
Donated to the city by Sir Max Michaelis in 1914, it became the home of the Michaelis Art Collection on 8 May 1917 and was declared a National Monument on 24 February 1939. Today this building is home to the internationally acclaimed Michaelis Collection of artworks by 16th to 18th century Dutch and Flemish masters. the collection includes works by Golden Age Masters; Frans Hals, Jan Steen, Jacob van Ruisdael, Anthony van Dyck and numerous others. It is now managed by Iziko Museums of South Africa (Iziko).
Go to ESAT Bibliography
Return to The ESAT Entries
Return to Main Page