The Oddfellows Hall was the Cape Town lodge constructed for the South African branch of the British fraternity the Independent Order of Oddfellows . Also found written in the American fashion: Odd Fellows Hall, while D.C. Boonzaier (1923) has it as the Oddfellows' Hall and F.C.L. Bosman (1980) even has the very strange spelling of Odd Fellow's Hall.
It was briefly renamed a few times, e.g. as the Royal Lyceum Theatre or the New Lyceum Theatre (1870-1872), the Bijou Theatre in 1875 (by Disney Roebuck who had revamped and renamed it for his productions).
Today the lodge building is part of the South African Parliament Buildings.
P.W. Laidler. 1926. The Annals of the Cape Stage. Edinburgh: William Bryce: pp. 81,87,
Return to The ESAT Entries
Return to Main Page