The historic Marais House was given to the National Theatre Organisation to serve as their head offices. Officially opened on 8th Feb 1958 by mrs Susan Strydom, wife of Prime Minister, J.G. Strydom (a former husand of the actress Marda Vanne). It was inherited by PACT, which sold it. It was knocked down and replaced by a shopping centre.
It was run by P.P.B. Breytenbach (director), Prof W.J. Erlank (member of the board), prof Geoff Cronje (Chairman of the board), Michal Grobbelaar was the technical advisor (later Production manager) for Afrikaans productions and Victor Melleney for the English productions.
For more information
Return to The ESAT Entries
Return to Main Page