The Hofmeyrsaal (Hofmeyr Hall) at 39, Church Street, Stellenbosch was originally called the CJV Saal (CJV Hall), built for the Christelike Jongeliedenvereniging (CJV) (Young Christians' Association) hall. The Church Council of the Moeder Kerk renamed the classicist hall, with its ionic columns and Greek pediment, after the man whose Bible classes first led to the erection of the building in 1900, namely prof N.J. Hofmeyr, one of the first two professors of the Stellenbosch seminary. Primarily used as a venue for meetings of the debating societies and mass meetings of the students.
Stage presentations done there include **
Du Toit, 1988; Van Eeden in Hauptfleisch, 1985; Tucker, 1997 [JH. SH]
For more information
Return to The ESAT Entries
Return to Main Page