Harrington Street Theatre
The theatre had a number of names over the years, such as The Theatre (in Harrington Street) ” and the Cape Town Theatre (in adverts at least), and later renamed the Theatre Royal. It was however popularly referred to as “the Harrington Street Theatre” in most cases.
It was a small, custom built and temporary, theatre of wood, constructed on a rented property in Harrington Street for Parry by Francis Dodds, machinery installed by Mr Stratford, gas fixtures by Mr Stanley, and upholstery by Mr Severn.
The theatre opened on 14 September 1857 with a performance of A Kiss in the Dark (Morton), the operetta Why don't She Marry? (Bayley) and A Thumping Legacy! (Morton). For the opening night new scenery was installed for the opening by Messrs Groom and Smith, the wardrobe "by Cantor of London and Walker of New York" and the orchestra under the direction of Mr Holt. A new drop-curtain was painted for the performances by Mr Smith.
Pantomime by Sefton Parry, 1857. **
Also for a time
For more information
Return to The ESAT Entries
Return to Main Page