A hall in Pretoria. Originally built in 1903 by the Deutscher Verein as a community centre and [later?*] called die Harmoniesaal (Harmony Hall). After 1914 it was successively used as a hospital during the flu epidemic of 1918, a school, a needlework school, a sculptor's studio (used by Gerhard Moerdyk?*), a film studio and a theatre. In 1955, during the city's centenary, the Harmony Hall was bought by the National Theatre Organisation with a grant of £6 000 from the city council of Pretoria. It now became NTO Kamertoneel, later the National Theatre and ultimately the Breytenbach Theatre.
For more information
See further Breytenbach Theatre
Return to The ESAT Entries
Return to Main Page