Den Franschen Schouwburg
Den Franschen Schouwburg was a subscription theatre erected in the store of Mr J.H. Brand in Berg Street, Cape Town in 1807 to present French plays, and it was active till 1808. Also referred to as The French Theatre in English.
The first performances were given in French by the French Theatre Company (or Het Fransche Liefhebbery Geselschap) on 28 November of that year. Most probably under the guiding hand of C.E.Boniface. It appears to have closed by the end of 1808, since a sale and possible auction of all its goods (sets, costumes, etc) was advertised on 26 November 1808.
Jill Fletcher, 1994
Return to The ESAT Entries
Return to Main Page