The Commercial Exchange is a name often given to a building dedicated to commerce and business transactions.
The Commercial Exchange, Cape Town
The Commercial Exchange in Cape Town was founded in 1819, and built on the site later occupied by the Grand Parade. The foundation stone of the building was laid by the governor Sir Charles Somerset. It was demolished 1893 to make way for the Post Office building in 1895.
It eventually became the site of/venue for?? the Cape Town Opera House (189*-19**).
Among those who used the Commercial Exchange (or Commercial Rooms) as a venue over the years are Mr T.P. Hill (1846 and 1849), Mrs Greig (1851 and 1853), Sefton Parry (who created his Drawing Room Theatre there in 1855), the Harper-Leffler Company (1868), .
Timeline of Cape Town, Wikipedia
Photograph, UCT Scholar Resource Discovery, Record no: 000046576
Photograph, UCT Scholar Resource Discovery, Record no: 000046411
Go to the ESAT Bibliography
Return to The ESAT Entries
Return to Main Page