1820 Settlers Monument
Initiated and supported by the 1820 Settlers Foundation and originally built with matched funding from the government, it unlike any other monument because, since its opening on 13 July 1974, this superbly equipped building has been a centre of creative thought and activity. It has several venues, making it an ideal multi-purpose destination for conferences, conventions and festivals. These include the Fountain Court, the Guy Butler Theatre (originally the Monument Theatre), the Council Chamber, the Thomas Pringle Hall, Ntsikana Gallery, Atherstone Room and Yellowwood Terrace, the Olive Schreiner Hall, the Visitors Lounge and the Monument Restaurant.
This concept of a living monument led to the establishment of highly successful educational and cultural projects, including the world-renowned Grahamstown Festival (later formally referred to as the National Arts Festival or NAF). The Monument is now used by well over 200 000 people a year from all South African groups.
Boltt J. Fire damage to the 1820 Settlers' National Monument. Grahamstown Foundation Media Office, April, 1996.
Butler G. 1820 Settlers Monument Neville, T. More lasting than bronze: a story of 1820 Settlers.
For more information
Return to The ESAT Entries
Return to Main Page