Welcome to the
The online, open access digital reference work.
ESAT is a Wiki-based, online, open access encyclopaedia, currently being edited by Temple Hauptfleisch (founder, editor and project director), with Freddy Ogterop, Johann van Heerden and Miriam Terblanche as assistant editors. Hosted by Stellenbosch University
Conceived in the early 1980s and registered as a research project in 1994 by Temple Hauptfleisch, it was originally intended for publication in printed book format (see COMSAT). However in 2008 the switch was made to the current digital, online publication, which was opened up for public access and use in late 2011. The resulting open-access reference work is the result of a national research programme, involving a large number of voluntary writers, researcher, editors and technical supporters over more than 15 years.
For more information about specific aspects of ESAT, click on the appropriate link below:
- Aims, organizational structure
- Background, origins and history of ESAT
- Basic principles in editing and using ESAT
You can also consult the entry on the Encyclopaedia of South African Theatre, Film, Media and Performance in the encylopaedia itself.
How to use ESAT
While ESAT uses the Wiki programme, which makes provision for a very useful search function, the database has avoided contemporary multi-screen web-design, and has been constructed rather more traditionally, like a printed encyclopaedia, with an index to the various entries (called The ESAT Entries). The entries in the index have been grouped in fifteen distinct categories, each one managed and edited by one of the research editors.
Important notes for everyone using ESAT
Accessing the database of entries
To access database material on the relevant category, the reader has two options:
Using the Search function
Go to the Search block at the top right of this page (or type: Alt+F) and type in the search word/phrase.
Using the Index
Go to the Index (below) and click on the appropriate link in the list of 15 categories of entries, then follow instructions on the landing page.
The ESAT entries have been grouped in fifteen categories in this index, each category managed and edited by one of the research editors. To access database material on the relevant category, click on the appropriate link below.
- South African Theatre and Performance/Overview
- South African Film/Overview
- South African Media/Overview
- The South African Context/General Terminology and Thematic Entries
- South African Theatre/Terminology and Thematic Entries
- South African Film /Terminology and Thematic Entries
- South African Media/Terminology and Thematic Entries
- South African Personalities
- South African Venues, Companies, Societies, etc
- South African Stage Plays
- South African Radio Plays and Serials
- South African Television Plays and Series
- A Chronology of South African Theatre, Film, Media and Performance
- A Bibliography of South African South African Theatre, Film, Media and Performance
An invitation to contribute to ESAT
Submitting contributions, suggestions and corrections to ESAT
All researchers, artists and other interested parties are invited to help us to expand, improve, update and correct ESAT, since by its very nature, the database will always be incomplete and prone to error on occasion. (See further discussion of this point in Updating ESAT.) Any information, contributions, relevant comments, material or information can be sent to the following address.
If you wish to send whole entries, you may wish to do so using the ESAT Templates explained below as a guideline.
The ESAT address
The Editor: ESAT, Department of Drama, University of Stellenbosch, Private Bag X1, MATIELAND 7602, South Africa.
E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fax number: (+ 27) 21 882 9141
The ESAT Templates
We have devised the following templates for the varous categories in the encylopaedia (see next section), and we invite you to use them when preparing material to submit to us. To find the appropriate ESAT Template for your purposes, click on the category below:
- Film ESAT Template
- Personalities ESAT Template
- Radio Plays & series ESAT Template
- Stage Plays ESAT Template
- Themes and definitions ESAT Template
- TV Drama & series ESAT Template
- Venues, Companies, Institutions etc ESAT Template
Please use the headings outlined in the appropriate category to write up your entry/entries for inclusion in ESAT. Do so in a Word document, and then mail it back to us as an e-mail attachment email@example.com, or in a letter to the address given above, and we will upload it onto the website.