Port Elizabeth Advertiser

Revision as of 09:14, 4 April 2020 by Ivor (talk | contribs)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

The Port Elizabeth Advertiser was a twice-weekly free newspaper founded in March 1867, by a printer and bookbinder, William Edwards, who was also the editor. The newspaper carried items of local interest and relied on advertising for its revenue. In November 1945, after negotiations with her owner, John Watt, she was bought out by the Eastern Province Herald and in May 1948, became the Daily Advertiser. Her old Hoe Press was re-bushed, enabling it to print the required number of copies. In addition, a Gigant Press was installed in Chapel Street and the printing plates were cast at Newspaper House in Baakens Street. In 1950 she was combined with the Saturday Post and replaced with the Evening Post.