The Groote Kerk is the oldest and largest Dutch Reformed church in South Africa, and has on occasion been the venue for performances of various kinds.
Built by Herman Schuette in 1841, Die Groote Kerk ("great or large church") is a Dutch Reformed church in Cape Town, and the site is claimed to be the oldest remaining place of Christian worship in South Africa. The imposing current building in Adderley Street replaced the first church, erected on the same land in 1678, Willem Adriaan van der Stel laying the cornerstone. In building the new church the original tower was retained, as was the pulpit designed by the sculptor Anton Anreith and the carpenter Jacob Graaff ( inaugurated on 29 November 1789.) The Groote Kerk lays claim to housing South Africa's largest organ, which was installed in 1954 and has 5917 pipes.