Good Hope Theatre
The Good Hope Theatre is a name used for theatrical venues in Cape Town in the late 18th and early 19th century.
Various sources give confusing information in this regard, but broadly it appears that there were two venues by this name.
See also Exhibition Theatre
The Good Hope Exhibition Hall and Theatre or Good Hope Theatre 1875-1892
As indicated, the Good Hope Exhibition Hall was at times used as a venue for opera and musical presentations and seems to have been referred to variously as the Good Hope Exhibition Hall and Theatre, the Good Hope Theatre, the Good Hope Hall or Goede Hoop Saal.
The Good Hope Theatre late 1800s-1906
Though also referred to as The Good Hope Hall or Goede Hoop Saal, it does not not appear to be the same building, but is possibly a new (or adapted?) structure custom built in the late 1800s and used to a great extent by the Wheeler Company where it experienced great successes with its musical comedies. One of earliest performances was Charley’s Aunt (Thomas) by the Hawtrey Comedy Company under Wheeler Company management.
By 1906 the theatre had however lost its flair and by the end of that year it closed as a professional venue.
For example by Door Yver Bloeit de Kunst in 1910.
Jill Fletcher. 1994. The Story of Theatre in South Africa: A Guide to its History from 1780-1930. Cape Town: Vlaeberg: p. 117
P.W. Laidler. 1926. The Annals of the Cape Stage. Edinburgh: William Bryce: p. 89
Go to ESAT Bibliography
Return to The ESAT Entries
Return to Main Page