The first battalion of the 9th Regiment of the British forces was stationed in Cape Town circa 1866-69, led by a Colonel Ellis. Some commissioned officers and men from the company apparently put on theatrical performances in the Garrison Theatre and a few in the new Theatre Royal (opened in 1860).
The company was originally led by a Captain Borton, They first performed in the Garrison Theatre, Cape Town, in association with the Leroy-Duret Company, in 1866, their regimental orchestra, led by Signor Bonicoli, often participating in the events.
Go to ESAT Bibliography
Return to The ESAT Entries
Return to Main Page