There are five references to a company involving the actor-manager Henry Harper and using (variations of) this name.
Henry Harper, miss Annette Hirst and Mrs J.H. Leffler from the Royal Opera House, London performed six concerts of opera selections in the Commercial Exchange and the Mutual Hall, Cape Town from 5 August - 9 September 1868. They were sometimes billed as the Harper-Leffler-Hirst Company.
From December 1868 to January 1869 the Harper-Leffler Company was back for a new season, now with the addition of David Miranda (the husband of Annette Hirst, and the stage manager of the company, in addition to his role as singer and co-manager), hence the company became known as the Miranda-Harper Company. A full season of new concerts were performed during August 1869, making them not the first to perform opera in SA, but the first opera company to do so for an entire season. They also performed in Rondebosh, Simonstown, and various rural towns, travelling as far as Grahamstown and Port Elizabeth.
Their repertoire for the 1869 season included performances in the Mutual Hall and the New Market Building, Cape Town, of selections from various operas, as well as performances of La Somnambula (Belini), The Bohemian Girl (Balfe), Il Trovatore (Verdi), Maritana or Don Caesar de Bazan (Wallace), Lucrezia Borgia (Donizetti), The Messiah (Handel) and Martha (Flotow/Riese). They also participated in two sacred concerts in the St Aloysius Hall with local amateurs and a Grand Fête and Fancy Fair in the Company Gardens, as part of the Agricultural Show of that year.
By 1870 the company had disbanded.
In December 1883 Henry Harper took over the remnants of the Mabel Hayes company after she had decamped for Port Elizabeth, to put on a production of a Christmas pantomime Humpty Dumpty. He had taken a lease on the new Theatre Royal, Cape Town, and opened it on 18 June 1884 with a production of Faces in the Fire (Bayard & Laurencin/Buckingham) and The Two Gregories (Sewrin/Dibdin). This evening constituted the opening production in the newly reconstructed Theatre Royal, built to replace the one destroyed by fire in July 1883.
Besides Harper himself, the company included the performers H.C. Sidney (his leading player), Fred Ferrani, Charles Lobbett, J. Fox Turner, Mr Burton, Mr Herbert, Constance Moxon, Bella Murdoch and Miss Williams. His set designer was usually William Thorne, mechanical stage matters arranged by Mr Kelly and the musical director was William Ramsden.
According to Boonzaier (1923), the rest of his first season (1884-5) there consisted of plays such as:
Les Cloches de Corneville (Clairville and Gabet),
East Lynne (Wood),
Henry Dunbar (Taylor),
Lost in London (Phillips),
Queen's Evidence (Conquest and Pettitt),
They also did about six one act farces.
The Harper-Leffler Repertory Company, Kimberley
According to Du Toit (1988), a Harper-Leffler Company also performed as permanent ‘repertory’ company, and was active in Kimberley during the 1890s.
P.J. du Toit. 1988. Amateurtoneel in Suid-Afrika. Pretoria: Academica
Return to The ESAT Entries
Return to Main Page